- 6-5 / 196 cms
- 184 lbs / 77
- Gill St. Bernard’s School ‘16
- Edison, N.J.
USA Basketball Notes
- Named to the 2013-14 USA Basketball Men’s Developmental National Team on March 27, 2013.
- Participated in the October 2012 and 2013 USA Developmental National Team mini-camps, as well as the June 2013 Developmental National Team training camp, all of which were held in Colorado Springs, Colo.
High School Honors
- 2014 MSG Varsity All-Metro honorable mention.
- 2013 MaxPreps Freshman All-America honorable mention.
- 2014 Courier News Boys Basketball Player of the Year.
- 2013 Star-Ledger All-Somerset County first team.
- 2013 Star-Ledger New Jersey All-Freshman / Sophomore second team.
- 2013 all-conference.
High School Notes
- Attends Gill St. Bernard School, where despite playing part of the season with a broken wrist, he averaged 22.5 ppg.
- Averaged 12.0 ppg., 4.9 rpg., 4.0 apg. and 2.0 spg., as a freshman in 2012-13 as GSB finished runners-up in the Somerset County Tournament, advanced to the New Jersey Non-Public B South Jersey semifinals and finished with a 19-8 record.
- Lists his top game as a 24-point, 10-rebound, six-assist output against Ridge H.S. last season.
- Born on Sept. 23, 1997, in Wayne, N.J.
- Son of Daniella and Gary Battle, has one brother, Khalif Battle, and one sister, GiGi Gibbons.
- Father played basketball at the University of New Haven and earned 1990 All-American and 1990 All-New England Collegiate Conference honors. He was inducted into the New Haven Chargers Hall of Fame in 1999.
- Stepmom, Tanya Battle, nee Wood, played basketball at the University of Miami.
- Started playing basketball when he was 5, trained by his father.
- Nickname is Ty.
- Tweets under the handle @kidmamba23.
The Inside Scoop
- Memorable moments from the 2012 Olympics include watching how, “all the stars came together and sacrificed their individual play for the better of the entire team. I remember that even the indivual swimming events had a major focus on team. I thought it was really interesting.”
- Favorite player on the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team: Kobe Bryant because, “he sacraficed his offensive game to focus mainly on defense. It was what the team needed most for the USA to be successful.”
- Plans on majoring in: business and finance.
- If he could drive anything, it would be: a Jeep Wrangler.
- Favorite Twitter account to follow: Kobe Bryant.
- Top five movies of all time: Dark Knight Rises, Gladiator, Dark Knight, End of Watch and Sinister.
- Favorite non-sports magazine: Game Informer.
- Favorite sports magazine: ESPN The Magazine.
- Pregame meal: pasta.
- Favorite app: Instagram.
- Favorite sports other than basketball: football.
- Favorite class: physics.
- Favorite basketball player of all time: Kobe Bryant.
- Favorite team: Los Angeles Lakers.
- Favorite Olympian: Kobe Bryant.
- Most played song on his iPod: “Say What’s Real” by Drake.
- Best player ever faced: Kyrie Irving.
- Most impressive person ever met: Magic Johnson because, “he does everything with a smile and is easy to talk to.”
- Would compare his game to: Kobe Bryant.
- This right-hander wears No. 25 because: he believes that Kobe Bryant chose 24, one number above Michael Jordan, and he wanted one number above Bryant.
- Away from the court, enjoys: reading, playing video games, hanging out with his family and going to the movies.
- Most people don’t know: he’s pretty good at drawing.
- Has never traveled outside of the United States.