USA Basketball Notes:
Gold Medal: 2011 FIBA U19 World Championship, 2010 FIBA Americas U18 Championship.
- Named to the 2012 USA Womenís U17 World Championship Team on May 20, 2012.
- As a member of the 2011 USA U19 World Championship Team, averaged 4.7 ppg. and 2.6 rpg. to help the USA to an 8-1 record and gold medal.
- Youngest member of the 2010 USA Basketball U18 National Team that compiled a perfect 5-0 record, earned the 2010 FIBA Americas Championship gold medal and qualified the USA for the 2011 FIBA U19 World Championship; averaged a USA third-best 9.0 ppg., while adding 3.4 rpg. in 14.2 mpg.
- Has verbally committed to attend and play for the University of North Carolina in 2013-14.
High School Honors:
- Gatorade State Player of the Year (2011).
- Ms. Georgia Basketball (2011).
- USA Today All-USA second team (2011)
- Parade Magazine All-America fourth team (2010).
- ESPN Rise National Freshman of the Year (2010).
- Georgia Sports Writers Association Class 5A Player of the Year (2010).
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution All-Georgia Class 5A first team (2010, 2011).
- Atlanta Tipoff Club All-Metro first team (2011) and All-Gwinnett County first team (2010, 2011).
- Gwinnett Daily Post All-Classes Player of the Year (2011) and All-County first team (2010, 2011).
- Gwinnett County Tip-Off Club Player of the Year (2011).
High School Notes:
- Has played three varsity seasons at Norcross H.S. (Ga.).
- As a junior in 2011-12, helped her team to a 26-6 record and the state semifinals.
- As a sophomore in 2010-11 aided her team to a 29-3 record, the regional title and a second consecutive Georgia Class 5A state championship; averaged 20.6 ppg. and 6.2 rpg.
- As a freshman in 2009-10, averaged 17.6 ppg., 7.8 rpg., 2.1 apg. and 2.6 spg. to help her team to a 29-4 record and the Georgia Class 5A state crown.
- Recorded high of 35 points versus Southwest Dekalb High School in 2009-10.
- Plays in the summer for the Georgia Pistols (2007 AAU national champions), Georgia Elite (2008 AAU national runners-up) and Georgia Ice (2009 AAU national champions).
- Also competed in softball, tennis and track & field.
- Born Diamond Danae-Aziza DeShields March 5, 1995, in West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Daughter of Tisha and Delino DeShields; has two brothers, Delino Jr., and DíAngelo, and two sisters, Denim and Delaney.
- Grandfather, Wilson Purnell, served in the U.S. Army, as did three uncles and a cousin, while a fourth uncle was in the U.S. Air Force.
- Mother was an All-American track & field athlete at the University of Tennessee; father played 13 years of Major League Baseball for five teams; and brother, Delino, Jr., was selected by the Houston Astros with the eighth overall pick in the 2010 MLB draft and now plays for the minor league Lexington Legends.
- Volunteers as a youth basketball instructor with her church and for the Jack and Jill of America service organization for African-American women.
The Inside Scoop:
Favorite class: Math.
Favorite meal to make at home: Pasta.
Favorite player: Michael Jordan.
Favorite non-basketball Olympian: Lolo Jones.
Best player ever faced: Maya Moore.
Most impressive person youíve met: Tim Storey, because his teachings are so inspirational to my brother and me.
Away from the court, you enjoy: Catching wildlife outside, playing video games and listening to music.
Most people donít know: I love to read and I keep a diary.
Most interesting place ever visited: The Colosseum in Rome and the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Italy. Itís always cool to visit a place with that much historical background.
This ambidextrous player wears No. 22 because her older brother and father wore No. 11 at some point and since she was the second DeShields child, she doubled that to 22.
Superstitions about: Sleeping on the same side of the bed and wearing the same hairstyle.