Height: 6’8” (203 cm)
Weight: 235 lbs. (107 kg)
School: Southwest Dekalb High School '12
Hometown: Decatur, Ga.
- Named to the USA 2012 Men’s FIBA Americas U18 Championship Team on June 9.
- Has signed a National Letter of Intent to attend and play for the University of Memphis in 2012-13.
- Plans to play football for the Tigers beginning in the fall of 2013.
- Played in the 2012 McDonald’s All-American Game on March 28 in Chicago, Ill. Scored eight points on 4-of-7 shooting and had four rebounds in the game.
- Participated in the 2012 All-American Championship on April 1 in New Orleans, La., scoring five points in addition to pulling down seven rebounds.
- Named to the Georgia Class AAAA All-State and 6AAAA All-Region first teams in 2011-12.
- Selected All-Metro first team by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution for 2011-12.
- Won the Atlanta Journal-Constitution slam dunk contest championship in 2012.
- Selected to the Class AAAA All-State first team for his junior season.
High School Notes
- Played four seasons at Southwest DeKalb High School where he led the Panthers to back-to-back state title games in his final two seasons.
- As a senior in 2011-12, averaged 21.2 ppg., 12.3 rpg. and 3.3 bpg. while shooting 74 percent from the field and posting 26 double-doubles as he led Southwest DeKalb to their second straight Georgia Class AAAA state title game and a 22-10 record. Scored 12 points with seven boards and three blocks in the title game.
- As a junior in 2010-11, averaged 18.0 ppg., 10.1 rpg. and 3.2 bpg. while shooting over 70 percent from the field as he led Southwest DeKalb to a 24-6 record before losing in the Georgia Class AAAA state championship game. His best game as a junior came in a playoff win over Lakeside as he scored 41 points.
- As a sophomore in 2009-10, averaged 14.0 ppg. and 11.0 rpg. to help Southwest DeKalb to a 19-8 record.
- As a freshman in 2008-09, started 14 games and averaged 7.0 ppg. and 7.0 rpg. as Southwest DeKalb went 13-14.
- Also played AAU ball with the Atlanta Celtics.
- Born William Goodwin on Sept. 1, 1994 in Atlanta, Ga. Goes by the nickname of “Shaq.”
- Parents are Persephone and William Goodwin. Has five sisters: Rochelle (27), Willitia (24), Persephone (19), Doria (14) and Skyler (10).
- His parents knew they were going to have a big baby, so they decided if he was 20 inches or shorter, he’d go by his father’s name of William. If he was at least 21 inches, he’d be Shaq. He was exactly 21 inches and has been known as Shaq since.
- Also was an all-state football player at Southwest DeKalb as a 6-8 tight end/wide receiver. He helped the Panthers to an 8-3 record as a senior.
- Was a member of his school’s A.B. Honor Roll in 2010.
- This right-hander wears number 2 because: It’s my favorite number.
- Favorite sport other than basketball: Football.
- Favorite food: American Deli.
- Favorite subject: Language Arts.
- Favorite basketball player: Kevin Durant.
- Favorite team: Oklahoma City Thunder.
- Favorite Olympian: Michael Phelps.
- Most played song on iPod: “Visions” by Wiz Khalifa.
- Piece of clothing you can’t live without: Socks.
- Player, past or present, you compare your game to: LaMarcus Aldridge.
- Most impressive person you’ve met: High school coach, Dwayne McKinney.
- Away from the court you enjoy: Singing.
- Most people don’t know: I can juggle and I like to see people smile.
- Most interesting place you’ve visited: New York because I see something new every time.