Height: 7-0 • 213.5 cms
Weight: 240 lbs • 109 kgs
School: Illinois '14
Hometown: Robinson, Illinois
USA Basketball Notes:
- Named as a finalist to the 2011 USA Basketbll Men's U19 National Team on June 19, 2011.
- Named a participant for the 2011 USA U19 World Championship Team training camp on June 12, 2011.
- Member of the 2010 USA Junior National Select Team that defeated the 2010 World Select Team 101-97 in the Nike Hoop Summit. Recorded three points in eight minutes of action.
- Attends the University of Illinois and helped lead team to a 20-14 record and the NCAA Tournament third round.
- As a freshman in 2010-11, appeared in 33 games, averaged 2.1 points and 1.2 rebounds. Shot 48.3 percent from the field (28-58) and 14 of his 28 made field goals were dunks.
- Made Illinois debut versus UC Irvine (11/8/10).
- Recorded 10 points, a career-high six rebounds and career-best two blocks versus Toledo (11/10/10).
- Scored a career-high 11 points on 4-of-5 shooting versus Northwestern (1/6/11), helping the Illini break the school record for field goal percentage.
- Credited with four points versus UNLV (3/18/11) in the NCAA Tournament.
High School Honors:
- Named 2010 Chicago Tribune and Champaign News- Gazette all-state first team.
- Recognized as the 2010 Tribune-Star All-Wabash Valley Player of the Year.
- Honored as a 2010 Illinois Basketball Coaches Association All-State first team selection.
- Won the 2009 Illinois High School Athletics Class 2A dunk contest.
- Named 2009 All-Apollo Conference.
- Tabbed 2009 Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette All-State honorable mention and Illinois Basketball Coaches Association All-State special mention.
- Was a 2008 Charleston Holiday Tournament All-Tournament Team selection and named All-Capital Classic.
High School Notes:
- Attended Robinson High School (Ill.), where in four varsity seasons he started in 84 of 94 games played and amassed 1,21 points, 792 rebounds, 251 assists and 257 blocked shots, while shooting 63.8 percent from the field.
- Averaged 18.8 ppg., 11.2 rpg., 4.4 bpg. and 3.8 apg as a senior in 2009-10 to help Robinson to an Illinois 2A state championship and a 27-5 record; started all 32 games and averaged 18.8 ppg., 11.2 rpg., 3.8 apg. and4.4 bpg.
- Averaged 12.9 ppg., 9.1 rpg. and 3.1 apg. as a junior in 2008-09 as Robinson went 20-8 and advanced to the sectionals.
- Averaged 10.2 pg. and 7.3 rpg. as a sophomore.
- Played in the summer for the Mac Irvin Fire and Ramey Basketball.
- Also plays baseball.
- Born Feb. 27, 1992, in Woodbridge, Va., hails from Robinson, Ill.
- Son of Tracie Leonard and the late James Leonard, has two older brothers, Bailey and Chris.
- Brother, Bailey, is a U.S. Marine who served in Afghanistan.
- His father passed away when he was six years old.
The Inside Scoop:
- Post-basketball ambitions include getting his college degree and starting a family.
- Favorite sport other than basketball is baseball.
- Favorite player is Olympic gold medalist LeBron James.
- The best player he’s ever faced is Jared Sullinger.
- Follow Meyers on Twitter: mleonard32.