Height: 6-3 / 191 cms
Weight: 184 lbs / 83.5 kgs
School: Brownsburg High School '13
Hometown: Indianapolis, Indiana
- Named to the 2011 USA Basketball Women’s U16 National Team on May 30, 2011.
- Has not decided where she’d like to go to college, considering Purdue, Tennessee, North Carolina, Penn State and Indiana, among others.
Honors & Recognition:
- Indiana Basketball Coaches Association all-state (2011).
- City Securities Hall of Fame Classic MVP (2011).
- Attended 2011 Nike Skills Academy.
High School Notes:
- Has played two varsity seasons at Brownsburg High School in Brownsburg, Ind., where she has compiled 735 points, 420 rebounds, 30 assists, 88 steals and 174 blocks.
- Holds school records for career blocked shots; single-season blocks and defensive rebounds; and single game blocks.
- Lists a career game of 30 points, 22 rebounds and 11 blocks (vs. Plainfield on 12/15/10).
- As a sophomore in 2010-11, started in 23 of 25 games and averaged 18.5 ppg., 10.1 rpg., 2.0 spg. and 4.3 bpg. to help her team to a 20-5 record; shot 58.4 percent from the field and 51.6 percent from the line.
- As a freshman in 2009-10, started in all 24 games and averaged 11.3 ppg., 7.0 rpg., 6.0 apg., 1.6 spg. and 2.7 bpg. to help her team to a 18-6 record; shot 49.0 percent from the field and 39.0 percent from the line.
- Played one year Indy Wildcats AAU, MVP of Cincy’s Finest, Midwest Showdown and Fieldhouse Shoutout tournaments; played two years Spiece Gym Rats AAU, MVP JB Nike Memorial and 14U Nationals.
- Born Tafadzwa Mavunga on Feb. 24, 1995, in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- A member of the honor roll since 2005-06, was her school’s Executive Board Vice President in 2010-11.
- Also competed in track and field in 2010-11, was No. 1 in shot put.
- Daughter of Jean and Phillip Mavunga; has two brothers, Jordache (14) and Julian (21).
- Brother, Julian Mavunga, played basketball at Miami of Ohio.
- Favorite sports website: ESPN.
- Favorite non-sports websites: Facebook, PowerSchool.
- Favorite food: homemade lasagna.
- Favorite class: algebra II / AAPE.
- Favorite meal to make: rice and chicken breast.
- Favorite basketball players: LeBron James and Diana Taurasi.
- Favorite basketball team: Miami Heat.
- Favorite non-basketball Olympian: Michael Phelps.
- The best player you’ve played against: Bria Goss.
- You most want to play one-on-one against: my big brother, Julian.
- Most impressive person you’ve met: Gordon Hayward, because I have known him since I was in middle school, and he’s one of the most humble people I’ve ever met.
- Away from the court, you enjoy: being with friends and family, watching movies and reading interesting books.
- Not many people know: my first name is Tafadzwa, and I speak two languages fluently.
- Most interesting place you’ve visited: England, because there were so many neat sights to visit, and doing it with my family made it more special.
- Can’t live without: God, church, family, friends and an education.
- Favorite basketball memory: Winning 14U nationals last year. I had never felt so happy and been overwhelmed with tears of joy at the same time.
- This right hander wears Nos. 3 and 23 because: my brother wore 32 and I don’t like even numbers, so I reversed them.
- Superstitious about: even numbers for some reason.