Weight: 260 pounds
High School: Whitney Young High School
Hometown: Chicago, Illinois
USA Basketball Notes
Gold Medals: 2013 FIBA U19 World Championship, 2012 FIBA U17 World Championship, 2011 FIBA Americas U16 Championship.
Honors: 2013 All-FIBA U19 World Championship Team, 2012 FIBA U17 World Championship MVP, All-FIBA U17 World Championship Team.
- Named on Jan. 20, 2014, to the 2014 USA Basketball Junior National Select Team that played in the 17th annual Nike Hoop Summit; started and helped the USA to an 84-73 win over the World Select Team with 14 points and 10 rebounds on April 12 at the Moda Center in Portland, Oregon.
- Took part in the 2014 USA Basketball Men’s Developmental National Team (DNT) mini-camp on Oct. 5-6 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Member of the 2012 USA U17 World Championship Team that compiled an 8-0 record en route to earning the FIBA U17 World Championship gold medal in Kaunas, Lithuania; averaged 13.6 ppg. and a tournament seventh-best 8.3 rpg., while shooting 59.5 percent (47-79 FGs) from the field to rank second among the 16-team tournament.
- Helped the U.S. U17 squad claim a pair of exhibition wins over Australia and Latvia in Las Palmas, Canary Islands; averaged 22.5 ppg.and 10.5 rpg. and was named MVP of the four-team tournament.
- Participated in the 2011 USA DNT training camp, held Oct. 15-16 in Colorado Springs.
- Member of the 2011 USA U16 National Team that compiled a 5-0 record, captured the FIBA Americas U16 Championship gold medal and qualified the U.S. for the 2012 FIBA U17 World Championship; started all five games and averaged a team third-best 14.6 ppg. and second-best 9.2 rpg., which ranked eighth and third, respectively, among the eight-team field; also shot a tournament second-best 71.1 percent (27-38 FGs) from the field and a tournament eighth-best 82.6 percent (19-23 FTs) from the line.
- Named to the 2011-12 USA DNT on March 24, 2011.
- Participated in the 2010 USA DNT mini-camp, held Oct. 9-10 in Colorado Springs.
- Signed a National Letter of Intent with Duke University for 2014-15.
High School Honors
- 2014 Morgan Wootten Player of the Year.
- 2014 McDonald’s All-American; co-MVP of the game with 17 points and seven rebounds for the victorious West team.
- Selected to play in the 2014 Jordan Brand Classic on April 18 in Brooklyn, New York, finished with 29 points and nine rebounds to help the East Team to a 158-147 win.
- Naismith Early Season Watch List (Dec. 16, 2013).
- Champaign News-Gazette State Player of the Year (2014) and all-state first team (2013).
- Mr. Basketball of Illinois (2014).
- Chicago Tribune All-State first team (2013 and 2014).
- All-Illinois Class 4A (2012).
- Chicago Sun-Times All-State first team (2012-2014).
- All-Public League second team (2012).
- Associated Press All-State 4A first team (2014) and second team (2012).
High School Notes
- As a senior in 2013-14, averaged 24.1 ppg. and 11.3 rpg. to help his team to a 28-5 record and a 4A state title.
- Scored 16 points to go with nine rebounds as Whitney Young fell to U.S. teammate Cliff Alexander and Curie Metropolitan H.S. in four overtimes in the 2014 Chicago city championship game.
- As a junior 2012-13, averaged 20.7 ppg., 8.8 rpg., 2.9 bpg. and 1.8 apg. to help his team to a city championship.
- As sophomore in 2011-12, averaged 24.8 ppg. and 12.6 rpg. to help his team to the 4A section semifinal.
- As a freshman in 2010-11, started three of 30 games and averaged 7.0 ppg., 4.0 rpg. and 2.0 bpg. to help his team to a 20-10 record.
- Born on Dec. 15, 1995.
- Son of the late Dacresh Lanett Benton and Chukwudi Obika Okafor; has two younger brothers, Jamonte and Ashondre, and one older sister, Jalen.
- Nicknames are Ja Ja, Big J and Little Sully.