Katie Lou Samuelson
- Mater Dei High School (2015)
- Huntington Beach, California
USA Basketball Notes
- Honors: 2014 FIBA U17 World Championship All-Tournament Team.
- Gold Medals: 2014 FIBA U17 World Championship, 2013 FIBA Americas U16 Championship, 2013 FIBA 3x3 U18 World Championship.
- Named to the 2014 USA Youth Olympic Women's Basketball Team on July 7, 2014.
- Member of the 2014 USA Basketball U17 World Championship Team that posted a perfect 7-0 record and captured the gold medal at the 2014 FIBA U17 World Championship in the Czech Republic.
- Started six games for the USA and saw action in all seven. Averaged 5.0 rpg and a team-high 13.9 ppg. Finished with team second-best 3-point shooting percentage (.404), sinking 19-of-47.
- Made six 3-pointers in the first quarter alone of the USA's semifinal win against Hungary on July 5, 2014 and finished the game 6-of-11 from beyond the arc to set USA Women’s U17 records for 3-pointers made and attempted on her way to 25 points and four steals.
- Among all players, ranked second in the championship for 3-point field goals (19) and seventh for scoring (97).
- Member of the 2013 USA Basketball Women’s U16 National Team on May 27, 2013; started in all five games of the 2013 FIBA Americas U16 Championship that was played June 19-23 in Cancun, Mexico, and averaged a tournament second-best 16.0 ppg., 5.6 rpg. and 1.4 spg. to help the USA to a 5-0 record, a gold medal and a berth in the 2014 FIBA U17 World Championship; among all players, ranked first for 3-point field goals (18) and second for 3-point percentage (.529); set USA women's U16 records for 3-pointers made (18) and attempted (34) and 3-point percentage (.529).
- Member of the 2013 USA 3x3 U18 World Championship Team that won a gold medal at the 2013 FIBA 3x3 U18 Championship with an 8-1 record; earned the right to represent the USA at the FIBA 3x3 U18 World Championship by winning the 2013 USA Basketball 3x3 U18 National Championship.
- Verbally committed to Connecticut.
High School Honors
- Gatorade State Player of the Year (2014).
- USA Today All-USA first team (2014).
- Finalist for Naismith Girls High School Player of the Year (2014).
- American Family Insurance USA Today All-California first team.
- Orange Country Register Player of the Year (2013 and 2014), Top Shooter (2012) and Athlete of the Week (2011-12).
- CIF Division I and State Sophomore Player of the Year (2013).
- Trinity League MVP (2013 and 2014).
- 2013 Nike Tournament of Champions MVP in Arizona & Clovis.
- Cal-Hi Sports Freshman (2012), Sophomore (2013) and Junior (2014) Player of the Year.
- Sunset League MVP (2012).
High School Notes
- Has played three varsity seasons, including two seasons at Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana, California, as a junior in 2013-14 and sophomore in 2012-13, and at Edison High School in Huntington Beach as a freshman in 2011-12.
- Played with older sister, Karlie, as a freshman and sophomore.
- Lists career games of: 38 points, including 16-17 free throws, and 14 rebounds vs. Homewood Flossmore at the Nike Tournament of Champions in 2013; 35 points and 17 rebounds versus St. Mary’s Stockton in January 2014 at the West Coast Jamboree.
- Holds Mater Dei career records for shooting percentage (.620), points per game (26.3) and free throw percentage (.894); the
single-season record for free throws made (135); and single-game records for free throws made (16) and points in a quarter (21).
- As a junior in 2013-14, started in all 30 games and averaged 26.3 ppg., 9.4 rpg., 2.4 apg. and 2.3 spg.; shot 62.0 percent from the field, 54.0 percent from 3-point and 84.0 percent from the line.
- As a sophomore in 2012-13, started in all 29 games and averaged 20.9 ppg., 6.9 rpg., 2.6 apg., 2.6 spg. and 1.7 bpg. to help Mater Dei to a 30-2 record and the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Southern Open Division regionals; shot 55.2 percent from the field, 43.0 percent from 3-point and 84.0 percent from the line.
- As a freshman in 2011-12, started in all 21 games played and averaged 19.4 ppg., 7.4 rpg., 2.6 apg., 2.3 spg. and 1.2 bpg. to help Edison to a 23-4 record; shot 49.6 percent from the field and 84.0 percent from the line
- Plays in the summers for Cal Swish Black, first 8th grader to play on the team, Music City MVP (2011) and Music City all-tournament team (2012)
- Also participated in the high jump as a freshman.
- Born on June 13, 1997, in Fullerton, California, to Karen and Jon Samuelson; has two older sisters, Bonnie (21) and Karlie (19).
- Prefers to go by, “Lou.”
- Father, Jon Samuelson, played professional basketball in Europe; mother, Karen Samuelson, was named to the All-England Netball Team; sister, Bonnie, will be a senior on the Stanford basketball team in 2014-15, and sister, Karlie, will be a sophomore on the Stanford basketball team in the fall. Both sisters attended USA Basketball trials, but Katie Lou is the first to earn a spot. Bonnie was at the 2010 U17/Youth Olympic Games trials and the 2009 U16 trials. Karlie was at the 2011 U16 and 2012 U17 trials.
- Has listed on her school’s honor roll every year.
- Started playing basketball at 4 years old.
- Wears No. 33 because of Larry Bird.
- Favorite sport other than basketball: Racquetball.
- Favorite foods: Steak and mashed potatoes.
- Favorite basketball players: Larry Bird and Kevin Durant.
- Favorite basketball team: Oklahoma City Thunder.
- Favorite Olympian: DeLisha Milton-Jones.
- Top five movies: Frozen, Lion King, Anchorman, Mean Girls and Kicking and Screaming.
- Best player you have faced: Karlie Samuelson, because of how hard she goes.
- You would compare your game to: Kevin Durant.
- Most people do not know: I play piano.
- Most interesting place you have visited: Indonesia for the FIBA 3x3 U18 World Championship.